We received this hysterical list of queries in our inbox...and have taken the liberty of putting them out there for the rest of you to ponder...
1. Is it a good thing if a vacuum really sucks?
2. Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?
3. Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
4. Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?
5. Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?
6. Why do "tug" boats push their barges?
7. Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game..." when we are already there?
8. Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?
9. Why do we say "after dark" when it really is "after light"?
10. Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?
11. Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?
12. Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?
13. Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?
14. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
15. Why is a bra singular and panties plural?
16. Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in a suitcase?
17. How come abbreviated is such a long word?
18. Why do they call it a TV set when you only have one?
19. Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
-- Author unknown but entirely appreciated
Feel free to provide answers...or, add your own!